We believe in better. And we make it happen.
Better content. Better products. And better careers.
Working in Tech, Product or Data at Sky is about building the next and the new. From broadband to broadcast, streaming to mobile, SkyQ to Sky Glass, we never stand still. We optimise and innovate.
We turn big ideas into the products, content and services millions of people love.
And we do it all right here at Sky.
What you'll do
The main focus of your data architecture work will be in leading the data design of functional areas like Business Intelligence, Reporting, 360° customer views and Personalisation and allow for data integration flows powering Sky’s OTT products such as NowTV, Sky X, WowTV, Peacock TV, Sky Go etc.
Global OTT Technology
Our team develops and supports market-leading video streaming services, underpinned by state-of-the-art engineering principles. We do this at huge scale: for over 50 million customers globally, spanning NBCUniversal Peacock in the US and Sky, NOW and SkyShowtime across Europe. No matter the device, the time or the place, we make sure that our diverse audiences can easily find and enjoy whatever they want to watch, choosing from the world’s best entertainment, news and sport.
- Develop data models for a data warehouse, data marts and operational data stores using different schema design methodologies. Create a fluid, end-to-end vision for how data will flow through the organization;
- Build an inventory of data needed to implement the architecture & perform initial exploratory data analysis. Document and publish Metadata and table designs to facilitate data adoption
- Design analytical business views that incorporate a simpler and more natural presentation of data to enable self-service analytics and reporting.
- Contribute to E2E Solution Architectures (with a cost/benefit approach)
- Develop Data Quality metrics for source and target data sets and implement measures to improve data accuracy and accessibility
- Design new tools with a focus on direct data ingestion from devices for IoT, faster feedback loops, real time data processing, machine learning, segmentation, personalisation and decision support
- Identify and evaluate data ingestion and management technologies that can be used to industrialise and automate data ingestion and processing.
- Attend Technical Design Forums to present/approve solution and data architectures.
- Collaborate with partners to devise a data strategy that addresses Sky’s data needs.
What you’ll bring
- Hands on, demonstrable, experience of defining data architecture and strategic direction to deliver Data Platform capabilities to support BI/Analytics/Reporting, Personalisation or Advanced Analytics (AI/ML) use cases.
- Hands on, demonstrable, experience with data warehousing, data mart design, and data lake technologies, data cataloguing, data profiling and data quality tools with an understanding of machine learning for garnering better insights from data
- Have proven experience leveraging Big Data offerings on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) like BigQuery, Dataflow, Dataproc, Dataprep, Pub/Sub, DLP etc. or their functional equivalents on Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure;
- Appreciation of architectural principles to build systems that support very high concurrency, are highly available, and highly resilient in the face of dependent component failures. Supporting the definition of guidelines for architecture and solutions design within the department and helping projects to deliver within those guidelines
- Demonstrable experience of defining and delivering solutions using Lambda and Kappa architectures, with emphasis on Apache Kafka based streaming solutions;
- Adept at translating complex technical concepts into meaningful recommendations with the ability to anticipate business needs and translate them into technical solutions;
- Ability to conceptualise and design platforms capable of supporting multiple systems or applications.
- Ability to apply modelling techniques as needed to data, logical and physical architectures, ideally using data modelling tools like ER Studio, Erwin, etc
- Providing expertise on open source tools and systems, and thought leadership around agile development practices. Identifying the key technologies, components and practices that deliver value
There's one thing people can't stop talking about when it comes to #LifeAtSky: the perks. Here’s a taster:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- The magic of Sky Glass at an exclusive rate
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
- A wide range of Sky VIP rewards and experiences
How you’ll work – hybrid working
The world has changed. And so have we. We’ve embraced hybrid working and split our time between unique office spaces and the convenience of working from home.
You’ll find out more about what hybrid working looks like for your role later on in the recruitment process.
Your office space
Our Osterley Campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Gunnersbury, Ealing Broadway and South Ealing tube stations. There are also plenty of bike shelters and showers.
On campus, you’ll find 13 subsidised restaurants, cafes, and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed, and even get pampered at our beauty salon.
We'd love to hear from you
Inventive, forward-thinking minds come together to work in Tech, Product and Data at Sky. It’s a place where you can explore what if, how far, and what next.
But better doesn’t stop at what we do, it’s how we do it, too. We embrace each other’s differences. We support our community and contribute to a sustainable future for our business and the planet.
If you believe in better, we’ll back you all the way.