We are a multi-channel, multi-brand business serving millions of customers a day, with the UK’s largest loyalty scheme and an ever-evolving set of digital platforms. This equals over 1.2 billion transactions a year, presenting a volume, depth, and complexity of data that few can match.
We have one of the most exciting data sets in the country, from the insights gained, we build scalable, high-performance products using innovative technology that give our customers an amazing shopping experience.
In an inclusive, agile environment, you will have the space to be curious, to experiment, and to solve real-world challenges. In the Chief Data and Analytics Office, you will stretch the imagination of what the power of data and insights can bring to how we do things.
About the role
You will help to unlock the value of Sainsbury’s enormous multi-brand, multi-channel data asset in a centralised ‘mini consultancy’ style analytics team that supports wide parts of the business.
In this role you will be your insights and recommendations will have a direct impact in shaping our stores to better serve our customers.
You will use your intense curiosity to find creative ways to land impactful analysis that directly supports the Sainsbury’s strategy of ‘Win in Food,’ ‘Brands that Deliver,’ and ‘Save to Invest.’
In this role you will
- Lead projects, develop & maintain relationships with your stakeholders, championing a collaborative approach to requirements gathering and the formation of compelling analysis.
- Apply your analytical knowledge to business problems recommending and implementing the analytical approach.
- Work on projects requiring varying analytics approaches, from building predictive models to defining and creating metrics as well as measuring the impact of trials, all providing stakeholders with recommendations to inform their decisions.
- Deliver insights and recommendations through high quality data storytelling. We love data and deriving value from it.
- Work closely with the Analytics manager to keep them up to date on progress of work and any blockers.
- Have the opportunity to manage a direct report and coach junior analysts in the team.
What we’re looking for
- A highly numerate background. You may have a degree in mathematics, statistics or another analytical subject, or analytical work experience.
- SQL experience is essential. Experience using Python or R is helpful but not vital.
- A proven history of leading projects which deliver actionable insight to drive business change through the application of analytics.
- Someone with the ability to explain complex information in simple terms
- An inquisitive mind, with the curiosity to be constantly on the lookout for opportunities and the ability to logically solve problems.
- High attention to detail
- The ability to partner brilliantly with the business to understand their problems and deliver value, applying commercial acumen and communicating/connecting in a compelling way.
- Keen to learn and develop. Pro-active about driving your career development and progression.
- Experience of retail and the analytical challenges retail presents is helpful, but not essential.
- A high level of team contribution – looking for opportunities to provide input and support across the wider analytics community.
In return you will get:
- Colleague discount across the multi-brands – Sainsbury’s, Argos, and Habitat
- Holiday allowance
- Bonus scheme
- Pension plan
- Private medical insurance
- Special offers on gym memberships, restaurants, holidays, retail vouchers and more
- Flexible working
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.